Legal requirements for commercial gas safety certificate
As a landlord, you are responsible for the safety of your tenants. The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 deal with landlords’ duties to make sure gas appliances, fittings and flues provided for tenants are safe.
Appliances, fittings and flues in a communal area but which may be used by tenants are also included. You are responsible for the maintenance and repair of flues, appliances and pipework provided for your tenants use, by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Although there is no prescribed timeframe for these duties, good practice would be the demonstration of regular, annual maintenance checks and subsequent repairs.
You are also responsible for ensuring an annual gas safety check is carried out within 12 months of the installation of a new appliance or flue which you provide and annually thereafter by a Gas Safe Registered engineer. You must keep a record of the safety check for 2 years and issue a copy to each existing tenant within 28 days of the check being completed and issue a copy to any new tenants before they move in.
Under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) (Amendment) Regulations 2018 you can have the annual gas safety check on each appliance or flue carried out up to 2 months before the date the check needs to be carried out but still retain the original deadline date as if the check had been carried out exactly 12 months after the previous check.
Checklist for gas safety certificates
- Are you responsible for a building as owner or occupier?
- Do you have a boiler within your building as heating or hot water?
- Do you have a maintenance schedule for your boiler?
- Has your boiler bene tested in the last 12 months?
Contact Landlords checks
Landlord’s Checks can be contacted on 0208 609 7777 or book online, to book our qualified engineer for maintenance or your annual test. We pride ourselves in being able to prioritise the legal requirements and your concerns when visiting your property. All anomalies will be highlighted to you as the customer with a proposed remedial action list. Our aim is to leave your property in a legally compliant position.
What Landlord's Check's will do:
- Visual inspection of all your gas equipment
- Inspection of all pipework and outlets including exhaust and flues.
- Inspection of all vents to reduce fire hazards.
- Ensure equipment is functioning correctly and in line with the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Be courteous and respectful during our visit.
- Submit a conclusion to the visit with remedial actions, if required, in a clear and concise manner